Sunday, March 25, 2012

Religious Experience as Perception of God

*Disclaimer: This Article Is an archived blog from my personal collection posted several years ago on the myspace.com website. It in no way reflects the site thepaganheretic.webs.com or the blogspot blog site as a whole and only reflects my personal views I once held or still do hold. This May Contain outdated information. this is only archived for informational and entertainment purposes only. Thank You. Paul R. The Pagan Heretic.*

originally posted to myspace in 2008.

I want to say something but im too lazy to type it out, lol

so I will just say this. its out of this book,



Philosophy of Religion

selected readings

second edition

Michael Peterson

William Hasker

Bruce Reichenbach

David Basinger

------------Religious Experience as Perception of God: By- William AlstonPg. 20

Summary:

William Alston's Perceiving God argues that some mystical experiences should be regarded as perceptions of God analogous to the perception of physical objects in sense experience. On Alston's account, beliefs about God derived from mystical experiences are prima facie justified and thus rational in the absence of reasons to believe that apparent mystical perceptions are unreliable.

Translation: We do not need fancy well thought out reasoning, or philosophy to justify our personal beleifs in God, or to even justify our chosen Demonimation, or choice of relgious path.

all we need to justify our beleif in the divine..is our own personal experiences.



I'm at the point that I should truly practice what I preach. The next time someone quotes bible verses at me about not serving two masters and this and that, I am going to copy the summary of Alston's "Religious Experience as Perception of God" to them, to prove that my personal expereince that has led me to beleive what it is I do, is just as valid as thier beleif in thier book.

No comments:

Post a Comment